PROJECT DELIVERABLE 3: DATABASE AND DATA WAREHOUSING DESIGN
This assignment consists of two (2) sections: a design document and a revised project plan. You must submit both sections as separate files for the completion of this assignment. Label each file name according to the section of the assignment it is written for. Additionally, you may create and / or assume all necessary assumptions needed for the completion of this assignment.
One of the main functions of any business is to transform data into information. The use of relational databases and data warehousing has gained recognition as a standard for organizations. A quality database design makes the flow of data seamless. The database schema is the foundation of the relational database. The schema defines the tables, fields, relationships, views, indexes, and other elements. The schema should be created by envisioning the business, processes, and workflow of the company. Since your company is an innovative Internet-based company, movement toward data warehousing seems to be one of the most viable options to give your company a competitive advantage; however, these concepts must be explained to the executive board in a manner to garner support.
Section 1: Design Document
Write a six to ten (6-10) page design document in which you:
- Support the need for the use of relational databases and data warehousing. From a management standpoint, it may be important to show the efficiencies that can be gained for executive oversight.
- Create a database schema that supports the companyâ€™s business and processes. Explain and support the database schema with relevant arguments that support the rationale for the structure. Note: The minimum requirement for the schema should entail the tables, fields, relationships, views, and indexes.
- Identify and create database tables with appropriate field-naming conventions. Then, identify primary keys and foreign keys, and explain how referential integrity will be achieved. Normalize the database tables to third normal form (3NF).
- Identify and create an Entity-Relationship (E-R) Diagram relating the tables of the database schema through the use of graphical tools in Microsoft Visio or an open source alternative such as Dia. Note: The graphically depicted solution is not included in the required page length but must be included in the design document appendix. Explain your rationale behind the design of the E-R Diagram.
- Identify and create a Data Flow Diagram (DFD) relating the tables of your database schema through the use of graphical tools in Microsoft Visio or an open source alternative such as Dia. Note: The graphically depicted solution is not included in the required page length but must be included in the design document appendix. Explain the rationale behind the design of your DFD.
- Illustrate the flow of data including both inputs and outputs for the use of a data warehouse. The diagram should map data between source systems, operational systems, data warehouses and specified data marts. Note: The graphically depicted solution is not included in the required page length.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the studentâ€™s name, the professorâ€™s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
- Include charts or diagrams created in MS Visio or Dia as an appendix of the design document. All references to these diagrams must be included in the body of the design document.
Section 2: Revised Project Plan
Use Microsoft Project to:
- Update the project plan (summary and detail) template, from Project Deliverable 2: Business Requirements, with three to five (3-5) new project tasks each consisting of five to ten (5-10) subtasks.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Describe the methods and best practices in implementing process change in IT organizations.
- Describe the role and methods of technology-induced process improvement in organizations.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in information systems.
- Write clearly and concisely about leadership issues and strategic insight of the Information systems domain using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.