FORENSIC DESIGN ASSESSMENTS
This task relates to a sequence of assessments that will be repeated across Chapters 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10. Select any example of a visualisation or infographic, maybe your own work or that of others. The task is to undertake a deep, detailed â€˜forensicâ€™ like assessment of the design choices made across each of the five layers of the chosen visualisationâ€™s anatomy. In each case your assessment is only concerned with one design layer at a time.
For this task, take a close look at the data representation choices:
- Start by identifying all the charts and their types
- How suitable do you think the chart type choice(s) are to display the data? If they are not, what do you think they should have been?
- Are the marks and, especially, the attributes appropriately assigned and accurately portrayed?
- Go through the set of â€˜Influencing factorsâ€™ from the latter section of the bookâ€™s chapter to help shape your assessment and to possibly inform how you might tackle this design layer differently
- Are there any data values/statistics presented in table/raw form that maybe could have benefited from a more visual representation?
Assignment Link: http://book.visualisingdata.com/chapter/chapter-6
Please use Textbook: Kirk, A. (2016). Data Visualisation: A Handbook for Data Driven Design. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Ltd