Aims of the assignment.
This is an individual assignment.
Upon completion of this assignment, the student should be able meet the following course learning outcomes:
1. Grasp the relationship between business strategy and the core human competencies required of organizations.
2. Critically evaluate the various models of HRM and the related stakeholder interests in order to apply them according to need.
3. To understand and be able to evaluate a range of HRM policies that constitutes a strategy in a context.
2500 +/- 10% word count
Case: The human cloud: a better way of working?
Please, read the case â€œThe human cloud: A new world of workâ€ and respond to these questions in an essay form.
- Critically define the concept of globalization of the labour market on the basis of the article and why one of the companies quoted in the article believes that the human cloud will make some employersâ€™ problems related to skill shortages disappear?
- Critically discuss the key points to be considered when deciding between outsourcing work to freelancers versus establishing a shared services center?
- Identify and critically analyse the specific tools and polices which an HR manager would use when outsourcing work to balance the interests of the company and the contractors?
All questions carry equal weighting.
The assignment also envisions a presentation where students should clearly outline their analysis. Presentations should be no longer then 10 mins.
STRUCTURE AND FORMAT OF THE PROJECT:
This is an individual project.
1. The project should display a coherent structure: title page should include student name, module name, lecturer name, date and school name followed by contents page, introduction, executive summary, methodology, findings, analysis, conclusions, recommendations, referencing and appendices.
2. The project should be prepared as a neatly typed Word document (Times New Roman 12 points), with double spacing and page numbering.
3. All projects will be discussed in class in a power point presentation of no more than 20 minutes. The presentation should be a summary of your work. The PowerPoint presentation should be printed 4 slides per page and submitted attached to your project, otherwise submission will be rejected.
4. Tables or work/data taken from other sources may be included in an appendix.
5. All sources must be referenced in the text and a full bibliography must be provided (including visited websites) in the Harvard style referencing system. Paraphrasing or direct quotes taken from other sources must be clearly indicated with citations. No footnoting!
6. Students are reminded that depth, relevance and variety are the crucial elements of quality research. (Wikipedia is not considered to be a relevant source of information; any students referencing Wikipedia will be deducted marks! Alternatively, if you find information on Wikipedia use the original sources listed at the bottom of the article)
7. Students are reminded to use valid and peer-reviewed references to support their work. Websites should only be used if they represent an established source and only for facts and figures. Students should make the most of academic and practitioner books and articles.
8. Submission should be by the deadline below and should include a hard copy to the lecturer and an electronic copy to your academic coordinator
9. All work must conform to University regulations on Cheating, Collusion and Plagiarismâ€™ as described in your program handbook. You are advised to use the Harvard referencing style and avoid plagiarism.