This week’s assignment asks you to discuss clique dynamics, which really are an example of Sumner’s ingroups and outgroups.
- Find a current event that involves people’s participation in groups.
- Discuss and describe the event and the main person or people involved.
- Then, determine what the ingroup(s) and outgroup(s) are for that person or those people.
- Discuss how their participation in the ingroup and lack of participation in the out group had an impact on the outcome of the event.
Note: Please give a link to your current event, so that we can read about it in more detail and better understand your comments.
For the next 3-4 days, observe the group size and communication patterns in your interactions. Then, answer the following questions:
- How often do you find yourself in dyads? In triads? In larger groups? (give examples)
- Do communication patterns change as more people join the group? (give examples
- Is there truth to the adage that “two’s company, three’s a crowd?” If so, give examples.
This exercise gives you the opportunity to show your knowledge and understanding of the concepts presented in the VCP article “Clique Dynamics (Links to an external site.),” that is assigned for this week as well as the textbook.