The purpose of this assignment is for you to apply everything you have learned in this course about diversity benefits and challenges, personal attitudes, and their impacts to a personal exploration and re-imagination of a core American myth. Your exploration will be both reflective and researched-based as outlined in the following instructions.
Write an essay (at least 1500 words) with an introduction and a conclusion in which you address the following topics. List any resources used in standard format at the end of your paper.
- Identify and describe a core myth that you personally relate to as an American. Separation of church and state, the right to bear arms, that all men are created equal, and the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are just a few examples. Note: You may apply the myth specifically to health care, if you wish, but you are not required to do so. (3 points)
- Research and explain the origins of the myth, including where it came from and what purpose it was meant to serve. (5 points)
- Share examples of symbols, language, institutions, and values that are associated with this myth and your understanding of their cultural importance. (5 points)
- State your feelings about this myth. Do you believe in it or reject it? Why? Where did those feelings come from: Parents? School? Life experience? (3 points)
- Describe the importance of this myth and your feelings about it to your personal identity. (4 points)
- Explain how this myth influences your behavior and shapes your attitudes about others in positive as well as negative ways. Extend your explanation to include how this myth impacts American behaviors and shapes our cultural attitudes about others in positive as well as negative ways. Support your observations about the behaviors of others with statistics. (6 points)
- Identify which cultural groups benefit the most and the least from this myth. Compare and contrast some ways in which this myth helps and hurts American society and its members. Support your observations with statistics. (5 points)
- Describe how you personally would like to see this myth evolve so that it benefits the greatest number of people and explain your reasoning. (4 points)
Save your file as a Word document (.docx).
Include the term Myth and your Last Name when saving your file. Example: Myth_Smith.docx
Upload your completed document using the Browse button, and then click the Submit button.